Friday, November 1, 2013

Renata Remedios Buendia (Meme)

Yyyep, it's been a while. Going to post my Big Art Project Party post later, but for now, have a watercolor painting I had been doing near the end of preparations, just for kicks. And also because this was one of the most beautiful parts of One Hundred Years of Solitude that I read, because gosh, that book is so poetic and lovely and heartbreaking and historical.


That night, the guard brought down Mauricio Babilonia as he was lifting up the tiles to get into the bathroom where Meme was waiting for him, naked and trembling with love among the scorpions and butterflies as she had done almost every night for the past few months. A bullet lodged in his spinal column reduced him to his bed for the rest of his life. He died of old age in solitude, without a moan, without a protest, without a single moment of betrayal, tormented by memories and by the yellow butterflies, who did not give him a moment's piece...
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

***

Some details...


I'm really proud of how her skin came out. I admit I'm not an explorer when it comes to colors, because I'm uncertain of how things will come out in the end most often; but I can only describe how the leftover yellow in one of my brushes came out on her skin as a "happy accident" because I turned out really well.



I just regret the butterflies a little. I could've made them more intricate if I'd worked harder, but oh well. The random effect came out quite well.


I'm quite proud of how it all came out hehe. Here's to hoping I'll develop my watercolor skillz even more :)

2 comments:

  1. I love your job! As I loooove the book.

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm a brazilian writer and 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' is one of my biggest literary influences. I'm deeply touched by Meme's tale. If you're reading this message, can you send me an email? I'd love to share some ideas with you.

    ReplyDelete